Weather in Brum Where The Sun Always Shines On The Blues.

Sunday 31 October 2010

Another Side Of Edvard Munch.

Belvedere palace in Vienna. Constructed in the...Image via Wikipedia
 I was once lucky enough to see an exhibition of his works in Vienna (which incidentally in my humble opinion is the finest city in Europe) having been a fan of his for most of his adult life. Seeing a painting for real, compared with a copy or a picture on the screen, takes you into a different world where you can see the textures and the scale and of course the colours. I was amazed, but having seen one of his works in Washington in the art gallery, not surprised by his works of genius, and one of my lifetime wishes is to go to the Munch Museum in Oslo and see his works in his native Norway but my daughter has been there and has said that it is very, very expensive place to go.
 he is of course most famous for The Scream and I was amazed one night wandering around Camden to see the picture hanging up on a pub sign.
 Renowned for his Scandinavian angst he was a friend of Ibsen's and during his early life was greatly saddened by repeated family tragedy which is reflected in his work. Later in his life he moved away from these images of death, horror and rejection and set about producing landscapes and more natural works.I am now 66 and if it is any consolation, and not all is good, then you tend to lighten up and become less concerned about the problems of life and having to grind out a daily wage and you learn to enjoy as much as you can before you pop off or end up in some decrepit and sad state.
 His works are well known and countless books have been published about him so there is nothing I can add except my own brief and personal opinion. I found this video on YouTube which is well worth watching and shows much of his better known work.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: