Weather in Brum Where The Sun Always Shines On The Blues.

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Roy Orbison.

The Traveling Wilburys, 1988. L–R: Roy Orbison...
The Traveling Wilburys, 1988. L–R: Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, and Tom Petty. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I think his story is too well known for me to repeat much of it here but I remember the awe that my friends and I were in when we first heard "Running Scared". We had never heard anything like it and he followed it up with a string of hits over more than forty years. Although he died prematurely fortunately he had just had a  revival with the hit song, "I Drove all Night" and had had great happiness and success with,  "The Travelling Wilburys".
His voice was unique, and there will never be another like him and he was respected and revered by singers and groups all across the musical industry. I first saw him at the Town Hall in Birmingham where the backing acts include Olivia Newton John and a young group, who had just had their first minor hit called, "The Beatles". I saw him live on one more occasion live, at the Gaument cinema in Cheltenham.
You got your monies worth: he would be on stage for about an hour and just launch into every song, note perfect, without any interruption, or that annoying time wasting chatter in between his songs. A great, great artist and a true professional.
 This song has been taken from his album, or long player as we used to call them then in the UK, "Crying" released in 1962, It was written by Roy and one of his close collaborators Joe Melson, but strangely I have never heard "Our Summer Song" played on air. Nor do I know who played the brilliant saxophone solo, so if there is anyone out there who knows who it was,  then please let me know.



 Just for good measure I have also included. "I Drove All Night".

   


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: