Weather in Brum Where The Sun Always Shines On The Blues.

Monday 29 September 2014

Two poems to my Mother.

TO A LOVED ONE
(My Mother)

Autumn of low sun
and long shadows
dark days
and morning mists
that cloak my valley
in dreamscapes;
softening
winter's
harsh approach.


Like you, before you flew
left clues
of imminent departure
in shrouded sentences
and sideways glances
that signalled
the frozen years to come.

The daylight sleeps
yet the trees
stripped of their leaves
allow light into my forest
and winter's moon
upon the woodland floor.

So it it with you
warm memories flicker
in the inner sanctum of my soul
and tears cannot put out
the fire I have inside for you.



LOST OPPORTUNITY

The last kiss we gave each other, as you lay dying
Was like the first kiss that you gave to me, to hush my crying.
But through the myriad wasted hours in between
delicate times for kissing you, were missed by me.

Why oh why does it take birth and death
to separate me holding you, mama mild,
like you held me when I was an upset child.
But , oh why did I not cradle you as you grew old?

And now you're gone, I regret all that I should have done.
Told you at thirty how pretty you were; my heart you'd won.
At forty that you had spun my dreams.
At sixty, your highness, you were my queen.

In the hour of your death it was obscene
watching the crows circle over your bed,
unable to breath life back into you
too useless to smother you with myself.

                                                                David, who thinks of you every day.




No comments: