Weather in Brum Where The Sun Always Shines On The Blues.

Thursday 9 December 2010

Wolverhampton Here I Come, Right Back Where I started From

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 27:  James McFa...Image by Getty Images via @daylife
 Off for a few days to see Wolves play Blues. Wolverhampton was where I started seeing First Division football. They had a wonderful team with the likes of Billy Wright, Ron Flowers and Johnny Hancocks playing for them but time has clouded the mind and I can't remember who they played on that cold winter night in 1954.
 My home team were Swindon Town who in those days regularly had to apply for re-election to the Third Division South but I supported Portsmouth. Why, because I followed in the still trodden trail of supporting a football club who in your boyhood win everything and in those years Pompey were a very successful side. It was a few years later that, believe it or not, in a Blues v Wolverhampton fixture at St. Andrews I immediately made that electronic contact with the team that I have supported for the rest of my life. Just like me to pick a load of buggers who have never won anything and have broken my heart more times than any woman.
 Yes I will be there scarf firmly in pocket, a Blues infiltrator sat amongst the Wolves fans in the Billy Wright stand on Sunday. Maybe it is time for a miracle and we put out a joined up team where the midfielders and defence actually recognise that it is there job to support the strikers. A miracle would be to win by more than three or four goals. Will it happen? Tune in to this column on Monday and I will relate my experiences.
 At least, after the match, I will be meeting good and trusted friends but Mum is the word on that particular liaison.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: