Weather in Brum Where The Sun Always Shines On The Blues.

Sunday 19 September 2010

John Paul II - The Evil Pope

Pope John Paul II on 12 August 1993 in Denver ...Image via Wikipedia - most of the child abuse occurred on his watch.
 Having been brought up as a Roman Catholic (I am now an atheist) it is in some ways sad to see the deterioration of the Catholic church. In fact there is a general deterioration in most of the Christian religions around the world and the Church of England is also decaying at a rapid rate.

 My doubts about Catholicism first began when I was taught about the infallibility of the Pope. What a load of nonsense - we are all infallible and, correct me if am am wrong dear reader, but did not the bible say so?
 I remain however a firm believer in the teachings of Jesus Christ. If mankind had followed his teachings and moral code we would not exist in the cesspit that the world has become today, and has been throughout history.

 My father to his credit, who was a deeply religious, though not saintly man, decided, after my brother had been cruelly treated by the nuns at Holyrood School in Swindon, to send me, believe it or not (no pun intended) to the local primary school where we lived at Wootton Bassett which was a Church of England  faith school. I was allowed to miss assembly and religious education lessons and after a wonderful first year with a caring and kind teacher I was then catapulted into a year with the teacher from hell who was a miserable and nasty old spinster. The rest of the time though was idyllic and I blossomed under a series of male teachers who opened my eyes to the world and educated me so well that I passed my eleven plus with ease and went onto a couple of grammar schools. These were elitist establishments that seemed to have the single aim of promoting the brightest and the best and, not surprisingly I fell behind but was again rescued by two teachers who taught education in the widest sense and encouraged me and stimulated my mind. They taught me two things that I have never forgotten: always ask why, and never believe anything that you are told.

 However I have, as usual diverted from my theme. As I was removed from a catholic education my father insisted that I attended out of hours religious education lessons where the catechism was remorselessly drummed into me. I came to see it for what it was which of course was indoctrination of the worse kind. And then along came Pope John I. A man from a humble background, who was apparently a compromise choice, he set about updating and liberalising the church. I adored him and truly believe that he was a saintly man.

 Since then however the church has reverted to type and a series of dogmatic and conservative Popes have failed in their duty to bring more people to the faith. One thing that I cannot understand is why Pope Benedict the present Pope, is getting such a bad press. He is no different to his predecessor Pope John Paul II, who was an arch conservative, and on whose watch much of the child abuse occurred. He was also responsible for stifling the activities of liberationary priests in South America who were fighting against the totalitarian and cruel dictatorships that existed there.Those same countries are now run by the worst kind - the drug barons. In fact I would go so far as to call him an evil man and yet he drew huge crowds and was universally acclaimed. How the church needs a man of the character of Pope John I today. But I fear the dye is cast and the church will continue to lose millions of its worshippers.

 As for the unholy alliance of protesters from Paisl;ey and his bigoted church through to rent a protest Peter Tatchell I suspect they are in it for the publicity and where were they when John Paul II came here?

   
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: